Structured Word Inquiry
Name of School:
Prince of Peace
Our school is considered:
In five words or less, describe your prototype
Vocabulary development through student led inquiry
Insert an image that showcases your prototype.
How might we?:
How might we intentionally implement tools to support learner's diverse needs?
Describe the prototype(s) your school will focus on. Get creative. Be sure to describe the various approaches staff will take, what you will keep your eye on and how staff plan to document their results.
Through a deeper inquiry of language, students will develop vocabulary and be able to make cross-curricular connections.
The goal is to help students develop an understanding and appreciation for how language works.
Supporting the language development of our students with diverse needs.
o I can manage information
o I can problem solve
o I can understand my LA assignments
o I can find and understand word meaning
o I can connect my learning to the real world
• Teacher-led inquiry with a gradual release of responsibility to students
• Begin vocabulary development through using Word Gen resources https://www.serpinstitute.org/wordgen-weekly
• Create word feature walls
• Students explore word bases (root words)
• Students discover word families (words that have similar meanings and patterns)
• Students discover affixes and create word sums
• Students create word webs and matrixes
• Students take ownership of the inquiry